First of all, let me just say that Mother Earth could not have given us more beautiful weather on a day meant to celebrate some of the most beautiful people on this planet! Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers, mothers in law, grandmothers, great grandmothers, moms to-be, dog moms, cat moms, horse moms, chicken moms (special shout out to the Sparrow mom building her nest in my African Daisy’s on my deck. You go girl! Keep on…mothering) ALL THE MOMS!
But today, I want to focus on a very special mom in my life (no it is not the bird).
I have a pretty badass mom. For those of you who know her, you already know that 😉 But for those of you who don’t, just let me tell you…this woman is amazing. She has taught me to be the woman I am today. She is compassionate, loving, creative, quick to laughter, quick to tears (just like me!), fiercely protective of her family and fiercely loving of them too. She taught me how to forgive, even when your heart has been broken. She taught me to dream and to believe anything is possible in my life. She taught me to fight for what I believe is true and right. She instilled in me a deep love of books and stories and truly made me the creative, old soul I am today.
***Ok I am sorry, but we need to pause here to appreciate this photo. The woman lugged around my wriggly butt for 9 months, JUST pushed a seven-pound child out of her vagine… and now she’s got to sit there on a landline and CALL EVERYONE SHE KNOWS to tell them I was born! Come on kids, let’s appreciate our moms for a second. Not only did they give birth to us but there wasn’t no Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, or Group Text to tell your friends and family you had your baby. Nope! You had to grab a landline, dial in a number, and actually speak to a human. Scary. Let’s also give a shout out to my mom who again literally just gave birth to me and is STILL on fleek! LOOK at that 90’s queen!
I want to just say “thank you” to my mom. I don’t think I will ever say it enough. So here it goes…
- Thank you for giving me life.
- Thank you for teaching me to be myself (no matter how much of a weirdo I may be!)
- Thank you for showing me the way to Narnia, Hogwarts, and Middle Earth.
- Thank you for keeping me safe from those who tried to harm me (even though I fought you at the time. You and dad saved my life)
- Thank you for always forgiving me even when I was a little shit.
- Thank you for always trying to understand me and my views even when they are a little “out there”
- Thank you for teaching me to bake.
- Thank you for gently guiding me back to my true path when I have strayed, but never forcing.
- Thank you for making me play outside and wait to get a cell phone.
- Thank you for comforting me every time I call and still being my go-to person to calm me down when anxiety takes over.
- Thank you for always being the first one to offer to be at my side during medical procedures and appointments.
- Thank you for being the amazing, compassionate, eager to learn, creative, loving mother of mine.
Happy Mother’s Day Mama,
Your Baby Girl